Friday 11 April 2008

My lucky find

I had a lucky find today - I popped in to town for a few necessities and decided to do the rounds of the charity shops. I couldn't believe it when I came across this book at a bargain £3.50. It is immaculate, probably an unwanted gift, only published last October and retails at £25. I've had it on order at the library for a couple of months but it was obviously not my turn yet. Still, now I can dive straight in. It's about sustainable living - consuming less, saving resources, growing-your-own, the reduse-reuse-recycle mantra, and making a difference - all starting on your own home patch.


It has been printed on paper from sustainable resources, and has no glossy jacket. Visually, it's stunning, with some beautiful photographs and illustrations.


What's more, it's written by Tom Petherick, who's cornish born and bred. He led the team that restored the kitchen gardens to their former glory at The Lost Gardens of Heligan, near Mevagissy in Cornwall, and then went on to run his own soil association registered market garden. He now writes and broadcasts and undertakes consultancy work. I'm going to enjoy settling down for a good read.

My aim is for a simple life, to tread lightly, and I can feel and see my life changing, heading in the right direction. And the simpler it gets the better it gets. When I lived in London I had a beautiful and productive allotment. My space here is much smaller, and has been trashed by the dogs, but I plan to do more in the garden this summer. The evenings are drawing out and the weather is slowly warming up. It's very enticing out there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT find, indeed ! This time it was your turn... :>)

Happy reading, ans sunshine to you !

XOXOXOXOXO
NADINE

Anonymous said...

I love it when things like that happen - ...I love the idea of having it on order from the Univers(al library) and then it delivers but better than you could expect!!

I just did a big writing submission on my course, and days later a friend sent a book on the subject she found in an oxfam - with all the research I needed right in there! meant to be...

Cx